What a fantastic 40th Reunion we had last weekend! It was great to see so many classmates and their families join us in our celebration. This email will provide you with a recap of our activities, link you to the reunion photos, and provide Mike Kozlarek’s Memorial Service message and the slides from our Class Meeting which includes the results of our 40th Class Gift and results from our Class Officers election.
First, however, I want to give a big “Bravo Zulu” to Brett Ayotte and his reunion committee for planning, organizing, and executing such a complex event. Thanks, guys, we all appreciate your service to our class.
One more group of classmates to thank – your company reps. Thanks for being the key link getting the word out about the reunion and other class news. We appreciate your volunteer support!
Here are a few interesting stats about the Reunion:
- 527 classmates registered for the Reunion; 500 were able to attend while some had to change plans due to the hurricane and other last minute challenges
- Classmates traveled from 43 of the 50 states; there were also several international registrations (Australia and Europe)
- 77 classmates participated in the golf tournament
- Over 550 people signed up for the Friday Night Social and more than 900 registered for the tailgater
- This was the first time that we had an arrival reception on Thursday and a departure brunch on Sunday – both were well attended
- Our Memorial Service had over 480 people in attendance
Please keep an eye out for a class reunion survey in the next couple of weeks. It will be open to everyone in the class, whether you were able to attend our 40th reunion or not, as there will be questions/input requested for our 45th reunion (which we have already started planning).
Our Reunion Committee is very appreciative of the support you gave through your attendance. While they did a lot of work in preparing for the reunion, it made it all worthwhile by having so many classmates and your families attend. You all significantly exceeded the committee’s attendance expectations which we view are a reflection of the close bonds we have as a Class.
Below is the link to our reunion photos taken by Debbie Latta and her team. There are some great photos here, but the one of the class in the chapel after the Memorial Service is especially worth a look. The link and many of the photos are posted on our class website, www.usna1978.org. If you view the photos in the “slide show” mode you can download the photos of your choice. Here is the link:
Attached is Mike Kozlarek’s message delivered at our Memorial Service. I believe his message, focused on remembering and grieving for our classmates who have gone before us, touched us all. We will also post Mike’s message on our class website.
Finally, I have attached the slides from our Class Meeting. Two short notes:
- Our 40th Class Gift goal was $1.5 million. At our Class Meeting we presented a check to our USNA Foundation for $2.141 million and we are not done yet! Our gift will continue to grow though donations received prior to January 1, 2019. We also noted that our class participation rate was 44%, an outstanding effort. Another sign of our Class’ generosity was on display when we presented another check to the Foundation representing our classmates’ lifetime gifts that total over $13 million. Thanks to all that supported our 40th Reunion Class gift and thanks to all that have donated supporting our class efforts to make our Navy, our Naval Academy and our Alumni Association the very best.
- Finally here are your new/old class officers. We appreciate your continued support, and we pledge to continue working to make ’78 the very best!
President Glen Woods (Re-elected)
Vice President Sean Coffey (Re-elected)
Corresponding Secretary Vince Balderrama (Re-elected)
Treasurer Kevin Liddy (Re-elected)
Board of Directors (5): Rusty Cone (Re-elected)
Matt Elias (Re-elected)
Joe Martin (Re-elected)
Bob Novak (Re-elected)
Terry O’Brien (Re-elected)
We have one request for everyone – if you have great photos from the Reunion, such as from your company get-togethers or around the yard, send them to me or Matt Elias…and while you are doing that, dig out some of those photos from our Academy years, times in the Navy and Marine Corps and send those, too,…we will get them posted on our class website.
President, USNA Class of 1978