The following articles are the professional writings of our classmates and we are fortunate to also include the writings of Beth Bailey, the daughter of our classmate Glen Wheless. They are organized by classmates alphabetically and chronologically under each classmate. Links to the articles are provided where available.
Art Athens (18th)
The Fulcrum of Leadership – June 27, 2017
Leading Friends – 2006
Alan Baker (10th)
Dave Buss (34th)
Bob Engel (36th Co.)
Bringing Aegis to the Littorals – USNI – January 1998
Jim Fiorelli’s son Matt Fiorelli, Captain, US Army
A Better Way to Fight the Forever War – November 2018
Mark Fox (18th)
Air Wing of Destiny – Fall 2004
Stirring up a Hornet’s Nest – Fall 1996
Al Hammond (22nd)
Approach Magazine – April 1982
Approach Magazine – February 1982 (Al is the co-pilot in this story)
John Hemry (3rd Co.)
Most are available in the eBook collections Swords and Saddles, Ad Astra, and Borrowed Time.
- The War of the Worlds, Book One, Chapter 18: The Sergeant Major (Analog Magazine January/February 2013)
- Fleche (Best Laid Plans anthology) (Dark Quest Books)
- Hel’s Half-Acre (Armored anthology) (Baen SF)
- Dawn’s Last Light (By Other Means anthology) (Dark Quest Books)
- Betty Knox and Dictionary Jones in the Mystery of the Missing Teenage Anachronisms (Analog Magazine, March 2011)
- The Rift (Analog Magazine, October 2010)
- Swords and Saddles (Analog Magazine, April 2010)
- Joan (Analog Magazine, November 2009)
- Grendel (So It Begins anthology) (Dark Quest Books)
- Failure to Obey (Analog Magazine, July/August 2009)
- Rocks (Analog Magazine, January/February 2009)
- End Game (Breach the Hull anthology, Marietta Publishing, November 2007)
- The Bookseller of Bastet (Analog Magazine, March 2008)
- These are the Times (Analog Magazine, November 2007)
- Do No Harm (Analog Magazine, July/August 2007)
- As You Know, Bob (Analog Magazine, April 2007)
- Lady Be Good (Analog Magazine, April 2006) (winner of 2006 Anlab vote for best short story)
- Working on Borrowed Time (Analog Magazine, June 2005)
- Standards of Success (Analog Magazine, March 2005)Mightier than the Sword in Turn the Other Chick (Baen Books, November 2004)
- Small Moment in Time (Analog Magazine, December 2004)
- Section Seven (Analog Magazine, September 2003)
- Generation Gap (Analog Magazine, December 2002)
- Down the Rabbit Hole (Analog Magazine, May 2001)
- Crow’s Feat (Analog Magazine, November 2000)
- Where Does a Circle Begin (Amazing Stories, Fall 1999)
- Odysseus (Analog Magazine, February 1999)
- Agent Problems (Marion Zimmer Bradley’s Fantasy Magazine, Autumn 1997)
- One Small Spin (Analog Magazine, September 1997)
- “Liberating The Future: Women In The Early Legion” in Teenagers From The Future – Essays On The Legion Of Superheroes (Sequart Journal #3)
- “Millions For Special Effects, Not One Cent For Writers” in Star Wars On Trial (Benbella Books)
- “The Mirror Of Gilgamesh” in The Man From Krypton (Benbella Books)
- “Three Is A Magic Number” in Totally Charmed (Benbella Books)
- Project Horizon and Lunex (science fact article) Artemis, Summer 2002)
- Interstellar Navigation (Analog Magazine, November 2000)
Alex Hnarakis (17th Co.)
Top Guns – May 1983
Glen Ives (10th) speech at Ken Waldie bench dedication with intro by Stephen ‘Jocko’ Maloney (16th)
Glen’s speech – 2003
Jon Kutler (17th Co.)
The Deal – Movers & shakers: Defense as a service business – October 2011
NY Times – In New World of Military Spending, Small Is Beautiful – November 2009
IDD – Old Pro Sees Value in Goodrich Divestiture – April 2006
Defense News – The Next Industry Cycle? – June 2005
Aviation Week & Space Technology -ViewPoint – July 2004
Business Week – Turning The Arms Industry’s Scraps into Gold – October 2002
Faces of the Middle Market – May 2002
Defense News – Capitalizing on the Slump – December 2001
“Ahoy, Mr. Gates. Can Bill save the defense industry?” – February 2000
Getting Back to Basics – February 1999
More Bite-Size Deals on Menu, Analysts Say – July 1998
Deja Vu All Over Again – January 1998
What’s A Dollar Worth? – March 1997
Worthy Behemoth: The Bigger Boeing – December 1996
Consolidating Going Strong, But Prices May Drop – December 1995
Defense News – Restructuring Shifts Course – October 1994
Jack McCourt (1st)
We didn’t end the fire – August 2020
A Soldier’s Blues – May 2020
Proud of our First Responders…. – April 2020
Putin’s on the blitz! – April 2020
Quarantinaville – March 2020
When the Quds, qudn’t! (or….The gang that qudn’t shoot straight!) – January 2020
The book we write – November 2019
First Company Prayer – September 2019
If…..then…… is a tribute to Rudyard Kipling’s Poem If – August 2019
Ode to the Sea – July 2019
The Ballad of Mucca McCourt – February – July 2019
50 ways to drain the deep swamp – July 2018
Get Carter – July 2018
What it is…….. – July 2018
In Search of the Huntley – March 2018
Hunting the Sea Snipe – November 2017
Avast ye mateys, tend to the Grog! – July 2014
Dawn Patrol in the Med – March 2014
In Honor of Admiral McKee – January 2014
They Call to Us – 2014
Navy Beats Army 34 – 7! 12 Years in a Row! – December 2013
The Insurgents – May 2013 – Published in Small Wars Journal
My Son, My Son – May 2013 – Written while Jack’s son was serving in Iraq
The Navy Deep Sea Diver – 2013
Mike McCrabb (8th Co.)
Understanding Security Cooperation – USNI – September 2015
From Presence to Powerhouse – USNI – March 2011
Kevin McGhee (14th Co.)
Nobody left behind – September 2019
Bob McMasters (12th Co.)
Because of copyright rules, we aren’t able to post copies of Bob’s articles although Bob is able to provide them on an individual basis. If there is an article you’d like to read please contact Bob at email@example.com.
- R. McMasters, F. de Monte, and J. Beck, “Generalized Solution for Three-Dimensional Transient Heat Conduction Problems with Partial Heating,” AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol 34, No. 3, pp. 516-521, Jul 2020.
- R. McMasters, F. de Monte, and J. Beck, “Generalized Solution for Two-Dimensional Transient Heat Conduction Problems with Partial Heating,” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 141 No. 7, pp. 071301-1 – 071301-8, Jul 2019.
- R. McMasters, G. Brooke, J. David, R Taylor, Y. Chang, G. LaRock, G. Valencia, “Detecting Material Defects Using a Scanning Laser Beam,” AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 210-215, Jan 2019.
- M. Abolghasemibizaki, R. McMasters and R. Mohammadi, “Towards the Shortest Possible Contact Time: Droplet Impact on Cylindrical Superhydrophobic Surfaces,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 521, pp. 17-23, Jul 2018.
- R. McMasters, F. de Monte, and J. Beck, “Estimating Two Heat-Conduction Parameters from Two Complimentary Transient Experiments,” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 140, No. 7, pp. 071301-1- 071301-8, Jul 2018.
- M. Abolghasemibizaki, C. Robertson, C. Fergussona, R. McMasters and R. Mohammadi, “Rolling Viscous Drops on a Non-wettable Surface Containing both Micro- and Macro-Scale Roughness,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 30, Issue 2, pp. 023105-1 – 23105-8, Feb 2018.
- R. McMasters, F. de Monte, J. Beck and D. Amos, “Transient Two-Dimensional Heat Conduction Problem with Partial Heating near Corners,” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 140, No. 2, pp. 021301-1-021201-10, Feb 2018.
- R. McMasters, R. Taylor, and G. Brooke, “Non-Destructive Testing of Materials Using Thermal Imaging,” AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol 31, No.1, pp. 230-236, Jan 2017.
- R. McMasters, Z. Harth, R. Taylor, and G. Brooke, “Testing Extremely Small Samples Using the Flash Diffusivity Method,” International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat & Fluid Flow, Vol. 27, Issue 3, pp. 551-560, 2017.
- R. McMasters, F. de Monte, J. Beck, S. Nallapaneni, and D. Amos, “Diffusion Penetration Time for Transient Conduction,” AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 30, No.3, pp. 614-621, Jul 2016.
- R. McMasters and J. Beck, “A Two-Dimensional Cylindrical Transient Conduction Solution Using Green’s Functions,” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 136, No. 10, pp. 101301-1-101301-8, Oct 2014.
- R. McMasters and R. Dinwiddie, “Anisotropic Thermal Diffusivity Measurement Using the Flash Method,” AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 518-523, 2014.
- R. McMasters, “Using derivative regularization to solve inverse heat conduction problems,” Inverse Problems in Science and Engineering, Vol 22, No. 4, pp. 591-601, Feb. 2014.
- R. McMasters and R. Dinwiddie, “Accounting for Finite Flash Duration in Diffusivity Experiments,” AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer , Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 818-822, 2010.
- R. McMasters, “Modeling Flash Diffusivity Experiments in Two Dimensions for Thick Samples,” AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 309-404, 2009.
- R. McMasters and J. Beck, “Solutions for Transient Heat Conduction with Solid Body Motion and Convective Boundary Conditions,” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 130, Issue 11, 2008.
- R. McMasters, C. Grey, J. Sollock, R. Mukherjee, A. Benard, A. Diaz, “Comparing the Mathematical Models of Lighthill to the Performance of a Biomimetic of Fish,” Bioinspiration and Biomimetics, Vol. 3, No. 1, 2008.
- R. McMasters, R. Dinwiddie and A. Haji-Sheikh, “Estimating the Thermal Conductivity of a Film on a Known Substrate,” AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 681-687, 2007.
- I. Wichman and R. McMasters, “On Combustion Around a Porous Blowing Reactant Sphere in a Low Reynolds Number Crossflow,” Combustion Science and Technology, Vol. 179, Issue 5, pp.933-960, 2007.
- J. Beck, R. McMasters, K. Dowding and D. Amos, “Intrinsic Verification Methods in Linear Heat Conduction,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 49, pp. 2984-2994, 2006.
- A.Aizaz and R. McMasters, “Steady state thermal analysis in Super Cooled Accelerator Cavities,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol 47, pp. 4562-4568, 2005.
- J. Beck and R. McMasters, “Solutions for Multi-Dimensional Transient Heat Conduction with Solid Body Motion,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol 47, pp. 3757-3768, 2004.
- R. McMasters and E. Todd, “Modeling Growth and Reduction of Microorganisms in Foods as Functions of Temperature and Time,” Risk Analysis: An International Journal, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp.409-414, 2004.
- R. McMasters, Z. Zhou, K. Dowding, C. Somerton, and J. Beck, “Exact Solution for Nonlinear Thermal Diffusion and its Use for Verification,” AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 366-372, July-September, 2002.
- D. Yen, J. Beck, and R. McMasters, “Solution of an Initial-Boundary Value Problem for Heat Conduction in a Parallelepiped by Time Partitioning,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer Vol. 45, pp. 4267-4279, 2002.
- J. Beck and R. McMasters, “Verification Solutions For Heat Conduction With Solid Body Motion And Isothermal Boundary Conditions,” The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 2C, pp. 49-65, 2002.
- R. McMasters and I. Wichman, “Compound Material Thermal Parameters for a Layered Material Resembling an Automobile Firewall,” Heat Transfer Engineering, Volume 23, pp. 44-56, 2002.
- R. McMasters, “Estimating Unit Costs in a Co-generation Plant using Least Squares,” IEEE Transactions on Power Systems Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 506-509, May 2002.
- R. McMasters, K. Dowding, J. Beck, and D. Yen, “Methodology to Generate Accurate Solutions for Verification in Transient Three-Dimensional Heat Conduction,” Journal of Numerical Heat Transfer, Part B, Vol. 41, pp.521-541, 2002.
Herb Nyberg (34th Co.)
Gerry Roncolato (1st)
We Must Master Our Game – December 2017
Interwar Naval Experimentation Offers Lessons for Today – September 2017
Effective and Affordable Trainers are Possible – September 2017
Fitzgerald Delivers Damage Control Lessons and Questions – August 2017
Deter China: Prepare the U. S. Navy for War – Jul 2017
Fitzgerald Proves Damage Control Is Exhausting – July 2017
Shifting Targets – October 2012
America Must Be Careful Where it Pivots – May 2012
A View from the Gender Fault Line – March 1998
No Time to Rest – June 1996
Methodical Battle . . . Didn’t work Then . . . Won’t Work Now – February !996
Chance Dominates in War – February 1995
Sam Tangredi (17th)
Does the Pentagon Understand What a Navy Is For? – July 2020
How a Stock Bubble Could Unwind America’s National Security – February 2020
Decommission Fleet Forces Command – USNI – December 2019
Antiaccess Warfare as Strategy – Winter 2018
Rebalancing the Fleet Round 2 – USNI – May 2003
Beyond the Sea and Jointness – USNI – September 2001
Regaining the Trust – USNI – May 2001
The Fall and Rise of Naval Forward Presence – USNI – May 2000
A Ship for All Reason – USNI – September 1999
Are We Firing Tomahawks Too Easily? – USNI – December 1996
Special: JCS Reorganization – Part II – USNI – September 1985
Glen Wheless’ daughter Beth Bailey (24th)
Never forget that Sept. 11 bred a generation of heroes – September 11, 2019
Remember the F-14 Tomcat – February 14, 2019
A Tribute to the Military Spouses – August 16, 2018
The Fighter Pilots’ Guide to Living – October 26, 2016