Dear Alumni, Parents, and Friends,
We are pleased to share with you the outstanding achievements of the newest Ensigns and Second Lieutenants from the Class of 2023! As we celebrate and recognize the class for their achievements, we express our gratitude for your continued support, which plays a crucial role in shaping and empowering the Navy and Marine Corps’ newest officers.
Moreover, we would like to extend our heartfelt appreciation for your invaluable participation in the Great Class Challenge (GCC). Your dedication and generosity resulted in an extraordinary outcome: a total of 6,314 donors contributing over $2.3 million to support vital areas such as U.S. Naval Academy athletics, academics, summer STEM programs, leadership development, international initiatives, and much more. Through these programs, our midshipmen are provided with exceptional opportunities for growth and success. A special shout-out goes to the Class of 1984, who secured the top spot in the 2023 Great Class Challenge. The 1984 graduates not only achieved an impressive participation rate of 51.7% but also boasted the highest number of donors, with a count of 472.
For those who may have missed the opportunity to pledge your support during the GCC, we respectfully request you to consider extending your support by contributing to the Naval Academy Fund by 30 June, the end of our fiscal year. Your involvement will significantly contribute to the continued advancement of our midshipmen and the overall excellence of the Naval Academy.
As we prepare for a busy summer welcoming the Class of 2027 on 29 June for I-Day festivities, we hope you enjoy reading a few recent highlights from your Naval Academy community.
- Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin tells newly commissioned officers at the
U.S. Naval Academy that they are ready to “defend our democracy with honor, courage, and commitment” at USNA’s 2023 Graduation.
- ICYMI – RADM Yvette Davids ’89, USN, was nominated as the 64th Superintendent of the Naval Academy.
- Global experts meet at the Naval Academy to discuss sea ice and icebergs as part of the ICE-PPR symposium.
- Navy Men’s Rugby rallies to win its first National Championship!
- The Navy’s women’s rowing team concludes the 2023 NCAA Women’s Rowing Championship with spirited results.
- Navy claims its ninth-consecutive Patriot League Presidents’ Cup, winning a school record 11 conference championships.
- Dr. Samara Firebaugh has been selected as the Naval Academy’s Academic Dean and Provost, succeeding Dr. Andy Phillips, and will assume the position in July.
- The Naval Academy held their annual Sea Trials for 4/C midshipmen in mid-May: see the photos from the event
- It was another awesome Blue Angels airshow in Annapolis during Commissioning Week!
Once again, we express our deepest gratitude for your continued dedication and support. Your commitment enables us to nurture and develop the future leaders of our nation’s Navy and Marine Corps. We look forward to staying connected with you over the course of the summer, and we will be sure to keep you apprised of our move to and the opening of your Fluegel Alumni Center later this summer!
Thanks again and GO NAVY!
Ashley “A.J.” Bauer
Senior Regional Director, Development and Leadership Giving Initiatives
Office: 410-295-4160 | Mobile: 757-719-0472
Vice President, Development
Office: 410-295-4184 | Mobile: 443-798-5644